A KITAS in Indonesia is also known as an Indonesian limited stay permit. It is required when a foreigner plans on working and generating income in Indonesia – perfect for those looking to obtain employment and stay in the country legally. This means that a company must sponsor you to obtain this work permit.
The application for a KITAS is a bureaucratic procedure involving both the Ministry of Manpower and the Immigration Office. The entire procedure will take two months but can be done entirely online.
A work KITAS in Indonesia is valid for up to 12 months, depending on your intention to work and stay in Indonesia. Similar to a multiple-entry business visa, a KITAS can also be used for multiple entries into Indonesia.
What is the process of obtaining a KITAS in Indonesia?
The Indonesian government issues your work permit based on the Foreign Worker Utilization Plan or RPTKA Approval document. Your sponsor would have filed this document (in this case, your employer). Once the Ministry approves your RPTKA of Manpower, the authorities will issue you a limited stay visa. This limited stay visa serves as the basis for the Immigration Office to issue your KITAS in Indonesia. With your brand new KITAS, you can stay in Indonesia for between one and 12 months, depending on the type of work permit you have obtained.
What are the benefits of having a KITAS in Indonesia?
Here are some benefits to consider before you proceed to apply for a KITAS in Indonesia:
- You can open an Indonesian bank account
- You can stay in Indonesia for an extended period without constantly leaving the country
- You can become eligible for obtaining permanent residency in Indonesia (KITAP). You could become eligible if you are a KITAS holder for at least three years, you could become qualified and have a high position in an Indonesian company.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you work in Indonesia while on a business visa?
What documents do I need to provide Cekindo for my online KITAS (work permit) application?
- A photo of your passport with a minimum validity of 18 months
- A bank account statement with a minimum balance of USD 1500
- A plane ticket to Indonesia with a stated departure date
- Other documents depending on your sponsorship company